Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Life is Still Good



Q: How old were you when you started feeling the symptoms of Cushing’s?

A: I was probably about 29 or 30 years old. I believe that is when I started seeing changes in my body and feeling different.

Q: How has Cushing’s affected your life?

A: First of all, Cushing’s has made me fat. I used to a healthy fit woman that was able to teach one or two aerobics classes a day. I was able to run, jump, swim, etc. and enjoy it. The one thing that comes to mind that has affected my life has been that I haven’t been able to attend my kid’s activities and functions as much as I would have liked. Ever since I started feeling the symptoms I have gained weight, I have not been able to do the things that I would like to do, I have had a plethora of seizures, and I have been in pain spiritually as well as physically.
I feel crippled. I feel like a part of me has been taken away from me that I really have enjoyed. I think it’s a blessing to be able to exercise and workout. Some people just don’t understand that exercising is beautiful.
Once I got my surgery to remove the tumor in my brain my life changed much more drastically than before the surgery. I felt much more tired and I basically had to sit around and do constructive things that didn’t require much energy. I couldn’t drive for the first 6 – 12 months depending on how I was during that time. If I did over exert myself my body would start to shake and my speech would become slurred as if I were drunk.
In all I have felt the difficulties from this disease and I’m hoping I can recover from it.

Q: What type of experiences did you have while going through these strenuous procedures to get diagnosed with Cushing’s?

A: I have had a couple experiences that have changed my life. Because of this illness I have met so many wonderful people. Not just people but people with the same problems, if not worse. I have gained a lot of respect for people that have legitimate illnesses. They have to put up with so much pain and suffering to get through these hard times.
Another wonderful thing that has happened ever since I was diagnosed with Cushing’s is that my family has grown a little closer. We have all wanted me to get better. I have had so many blessing given to me by my son and it has been awesome to let him help me out where he can. This is the time that I have ever felt so much love from my family. That is the greatest experience that I could have ever had.
I have also seen miracles that have changed my life. There are things that have happened to me and other people that have taught me important lessons. I also know that there is a father in heaven that loves us and wants us to feel better and not have to suffer.

No comments: